This fly is a general pattern for Olive baetis flies found hatching on many rivers. It uses deer hair as a wing.
The fly was tied as it was requested during a fly tying tutorial run by the club.
- Silk – Semperfli Nano Silk, yellow, 18/0 (30D)
- Hook – Ahrex FW 503, size 16
- Tails – Moose body hairs (microfibetts could be used as an alternative).
- Rib – Pearsalls Gossamer silk colour 6A or similar
- Butt – Fly-Rite dubbing in No17
- Body – Fly-Rite dubbing in No 42
- Wing – Deer hair colour to match, and taken from the flank of the deer (small in length and not too large in hair diameter)
- Thorax – Fly-Rite dubbing No 42
- Hackle – Good quality dry fly hackle or cock saddle feather.
To view how the fly is tied simply watch the video below
WHY NOT JOIN US?
The Gwent Angling Society is a progressive, conservation-minded club offering fishing on six beats on the River Usk, two on the River Wye, the Sirhowy river and Afon Llynfi (Powys), and the wonderful Talybont Reservoir. Our waters can be viewed here. If you are interested in joining us or have any queries, simply contact our Membership Secretary.