Gwent Angling Society is proudly announcing it’s 2018 open skills day!
Members, non-members, guests and families are very welcome to come and join us for this special day
We will be running a series of demonstrations and masterclasses during the whole day to help improve your skills!
Taking place on 26 May starting at 10 am by the beautiful and picturesque banks of the River Usk at Ty Mawr near Abergavenny, experts from the club and the world of game angling will be on hand to introduce you to a number of techniques and skills that will help you improve and achieve more successful results. Throughout the day we will be running skills workshops:-
On the River:
- Nymph fishing techniques with Lee Evans using French and Czech nymphing in the most productive way
- Tenkara techniques with Glyn Williams – Glyn has travelled to Japan to learn the history, philosophy and to perfect the skill of Tenkara!
- Dry fly techniques – Gareth Lewis passing on his wealth of knowledge and the disciplines of the irresistible presentation!
- Wet fly and Spider techniques – Michael Roberts showing the finer points of upstream and downstream styles that really produce results
- Single-handed Skagit and Lure fishing for big trout – Rob Bowen will stretch your boundaries with his approach… plus a few secrets!
- Double handed Salmon fishing techniques – Justin Connolly showing the most successful methods including using the “riffled hitch”
On the bank:
- Entomology and fly choice – Dave Collins will help you “Match the hatch” and select the right fly for the river conditions and catch!
- Fly Tying tuition, skills and techniques with the brilliant tutors Paul Lawrence and Stuart Foxall – the “best in the business”
- Which line? – Scientific Anglers technicians on hand with the full range of lines for all conditions, how to select the best lines for your rod and style of fishing plus tackle demonstrations (Scott rods, Lamson reels)
Alongside these masterclasses, there will also be our ever-popular “Casting Clinics” throughout the day for both single and double handed fishing which will be suitable for anglers at any level – beginners and the more experienced
Once you have attended one of the casting clinics you can try your new proficiency in our casting competitions – double and single-handed accuracy for all levels, juniors and adults, with prizes!
Having worked up an appetite throughout the day you can enjoy our professional Gourmet BBQ and pick up something delicious to eat and a refreshing drink from the Bar to quench your thirst!
Inspired and with your new skills and knowledge acquired you can put them to the test during the day on the fabulous River Usk at Ty Mawr – one of the best venues on the entire river system. Please bring your gear with you to enjoy this opportunity!
Large Marquees will be onsite with plenty of tables, chairs and loos to make your day comfortable. Plenty of safe parking spaces for everyone – directions provided. Accommodation is recommended with Ty Mawr Cottages and The Bear Hotel, Crickhowell – see website details
Admission entrance for the whole day is £40 (£35 for members). Free for under 18’s and non-anglers. Admission ticket price includes a BBQ voucher and a raffle ticket with a chance to win a fabulous fishing gear prize. Extra food vouchers and raffle tickets available. Free tea/coffee available.
Please purchase a ticket and guarantee your place!