Home Forums General Questions & Answers Wyastone Leys hand drawn beat maps

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 7 total)
  • Author

It is is great to have these old maps, but I was wondering if there is any appetite to update them? Some of the features referenced on the map have gone or are so overgrown that they are not recognisable anymore.

I’m certainly no expert after maybe 12 sessions over last three years (and no fish :)) , but I reckon I could make a start on the maps for the bottom section.

One question as well – the map for the section around Boys Rock shows a number of X’s – are these indicating known lies, or just rocks? Also, I don’t tend to fish the fast section from the run below John’ Hole to about twenty yards above Boys rock as there is nothing shown on the map, but it must be worth a go when the water warms up and the grilse are about?

Cheers,
    Dave

Gareth
    Participant

Hi Dave

Are you talking about updating the maps using google maps or by hand?
    I guess its probably more difficult in the short term via google maps but once done a lot easier to maintain.
    Interesting project for the winter months!

Gareth

daveyh

I’m open to suggestions but was thinking of creating an overlay using Google Maps as a basis. Even recreating the existing maps at a higher resolution with typed text would be a good start.

I’m no artist, but maybe someone could then embellish them with some attractive graphics, perhaps including the mad swans and friendly ladies that one tends to encounter on the beat :-)

I’m getting a bit ahead of myself – I need to actually identify the productive lies for myself first!

Gareth
    Participant

the mad swans and friendly ladies that one tends to encounter on the beat :-)

Pmpl

cascade
    Participant

Hi,

I used to fish the Wyastone Beat a lot in the 90’s for the owner (the late Geoffery Johnson) and the x’s indicated below Boy’s rocks are where the owner or other members of the syndicate caught fish and therefore they became areas where the salmon would show or either lie.
    Its worth fishing all the way down the Boys Rocks with the fly especially as the water drops and fish tends to hold especially the grilse.

Hope this has been helpful

Cascade

daveyh

Thanks Cascade. That is very useful information.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.