Water abstractions and mitigation water for the Usk2018-08-23T15:59:50+00:00

Home Forums What’s happening on the river Water abstractions and mitigation water for the Usk

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Welsh Water release and abstraction
    For information

After stepping it down the previous week, WW finally stopped the additional release of water from Usk Reservoir on 15 August (see below). It had been operating since 19 July. This additional flow is likely to have benefited the river, even so I have been told that a few salmon were seen in distress between Chainbridge and Usk during the very hot weather and low flows. I haven’t seen any sign of distressed fish myself downstream of Usk.

WW tell me that they intend to abstract at Llantrissant, taking 35 to 58 Ml/d, (less than their current licence allows). They will also abstract at Prioress Mill as river levels allow.

mmMark Roberts
    Keymaster

Update

I have just heard from NRW that Welsh Water now expect to be abstracting 21.9 Ml/d at Llantrisant rather than the 35 to 58 Ml/d indicated previously.
    21.9 Ml/d is the amount they will be entitled to take at Llantrisant when their new licence comes into force. They are currently licensed to take 77.4 Ml/d there.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.