Home Forums Trout & Grayling Fishing Wading (and 1st post)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I’ve just received confirmation from Mark that I’m in for this year! Very excited about this. I’m pretty new to river trout fishing, having only really spent time on the Monnow last year (MDAS), so the Usk beats will be a great step up.

Now, one thing I’m wondering is whether the waist waders I’ve got are going to be insufficient or not – not sure I can budget for reasonable chest ones for the next few months.

I’m guessing the upper beat near Gilwern may be the easiest for wading? (presuming the river is slightly smaller up there than down around ChainBridge).

I also need to try some more tying (not sure if I’ll be able to get along to any of the weekly meet ups at the moment). I’m currently focusing on getting a range of sizes & colours of the CDC & Elk and Deer Hair Emergers as suggested on this page: http://www.partridge-of-redditch.co.uk/ … -dry-flies – seeing mention of March Browns on the forum, hopefully the DHE may cover this to some extent (I’ve not got much in the way of decent hackles, hence which elk wings seem do-able for my meagre skills at the moment)

Well, thanks for any tips!
    Tom (from near Raglan)

Gareth
    Participant

Hi Tom

I started fishing for the first time in 30 yrs last July.
    I quite happily used thigh waders for most of the summer.
    During the closed season toyed with the idea of new chest waders but in the end came down on the side of waist waders.
    Saying that there were a few occasions on Ty Mawr when I felt a pair of chest waders would of been helpful.
    Last year I really enjoyed fishing Pen-Y-Worllod and I think it’ll be starting this new season off there.
    Gareth

tom bugs

Thanks Gareth – that’s reassuring to hear.

daveyh

Hi Tom. Do you fish Bristol Waters at all, Barrows in particular? The name sounds familiar :)

tom bugs

Yes – good memory!
    Well, I did a few years ago (was never very successful down there..) – I lived in Bristol for 12+ years (still have a workshop there) but moved over here since our little boy was born.

daveyh

Good to see on here. We fished Barrows together once and you had fish repeatedly hitting your dry sedge and not hooking up and I couldn’t rise a thing :-)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.