Home Forums What’s happening on the river The recovery of the Llynfi

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been on bailiff’s duties since the 25th and have fished the Llynfi Pipton beat, overlapping bit by bit, on three occasions including today, auditing fish stocks now that the mayfly are here.  I’ve had one grayling (they’ve been spawning, so not in the mood!), a few salmon parr, and 60 trout on Danica patterns – Klink, a DD and a John Goddard Nevamis variant, which was the only pattern I used today.  It is now almost three years exactly since the total fish kill, and the river is slowly recovering: grayling coming up from the Wye confluence, trout coming up to spawn and some staying, and trout progeny from the 2016, 2017 and 2018 spawning seasons dropping back from upstream, unpolluted water. 43% of the fish I’ve caught have been of 6/7” (winter 2017 fish), 35% were of 8/9” (winter 2016 fish) and the rest of 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and =/>15” are probably all fish older than the pollution, so fish which have migrated in and stayed.  All are in piscatorial McDonalds and currently getting fat on Danica!  One of the larger fish I caught today, conveniently coughed up a Danica emerger, which I took a picture of, plus the Nevamis – cool or what! Given all of the work done to clear the beat over the last 18 months, it is not only more fishable but more light will get in to benefit the invertebrate population.   Go and fish both Pipton and the Pontithel beats now that the mayfly are here. As Delboy said its “la creme de la menthe”!  Please report any mink sightings, and where you’ve seen them, to Mark or me, as we know that we have a mink predation problem which is being addressed.  As per the fish returns guidelines on the Members pages, please also help us to monitor fish stocks by taking note of year classes of fish which you catch on each beat, and the number of days which you fish.  In the next three years, these beats will become ever more productive, restored fisheries as fish grow on, and the more sexually mature fish make babies!  Please use barbless hooks and look after every fish, small or large – they are or, one day will be, sexually mature and the future of the fishery lies with them…and you! Tight lines!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.