Home Forums Trout & Grayling Fishing Llan 5th April

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

I had my first trip out today – nice day for it! I thought I’d try Llan after the really excellent guide/walk last Sunday with Parf (Alan, if you’re reading – sorry I didn’t get to say thanks & bye as we walked up to the cars).

So, Llan today – partly as it is only 25mins drive, so a smidge closer than Ty Mawr.

11.30 – 3pm. Down at the bottom end there were fish rising throughout the session. Only managed to take one of about 1lb on a DearHairEmerger.
    Quite a lot of flies hatching – though I know not what! Some quite big pale-ish/brown maybe olives? I should look up what these March Browns look like! I wasn’t sure what was causing the rises.

About 1.30 I went up to around the height marker – there’d been a lot of rises coming on when we’d walked there on Sunday. Nothing much when I arrived, so I did DHE+PTN wading out, then some rises occurred nearer the bank & I moved in to cover these. Hooked up what seemed a nice fish but.. given the current was quite pokey, it moved off downstream and as I was wondering how to play it back in it came loose – how would people recommend dealing with such situations? I couldn’t really follow downstream very quickly and was wary of letting out too much line as the current meant bringing it in would be hard work.

Nothing happening for the rest of the session – things still rising down at the bottom, but not interested in my ways, so called it a day at 3.

mark waters
    Participant

The flow at the Llan must have been pretty strong so it is hard to hold a sizeable fish across the current on light line. I fished Ty Mawr- the water was high and there were plenty of Olives and March Browns going down but no fish moving to them, I was there from 12 noon to 3pm no action on top of the water but 2 taken by another fisherman on wet flies. River needs to warm up a bit still bitterly cold as there is still snow on the mountains above Brecon

tom bugs

Thanks Mark – yeah, that all figures. The current was strong enough that I didn’t feel like venturing far out – shame I probably didn’t stand a chance with the hooked trout.
    And while the air felt good in the sun, standing in the water for long did begin to feel a bit cold (and there were some strongish downriver wind gusts)

Gareth
    Participant

Hi Both

The other fisherman Mark mentioned was me.
    I caught 2 towards the bottom of Canoe pool on a size 14 Usk Naylor both were hooked close into the bank while casting back towards the bank. I’ve been wondering how many fish I waded past before I thought to cast shore wards. Live and learn.
    Weather doesn’t look very promising until around the 15th of April!! I seem to be wishing my life away. lol

tom bugs

Yes, glad I did get out Tuesday – even today would have been a no-go with the winds & the next days don’t look much better.

I know the feeling of heading out (or aiming for the far bank even) without working the margins – that happened with the fish I lost downstream – it was a metre or 2 out, while I was 4 or 5.. Rooky mistake probably!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.