Home Forums What’s happening on the river Current Regulations regarding Fishing in Wales

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Hi all
    many of you are contacting me asking what you are allowed to do regarding angling in Wales.
    Follow this link which explains well the confusion and identifies why perhaps it has occurred.
    We recommend that you follow the guidelines as explained by NRW that I posted yesterday.
    https://naturalresources.wales/about-us/news-and-events/statements/our-response-to-the-coronavirus-pandemic/?lang=en
    When anything changes I will let you know by email.
    https://flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/blog/view/signs_of_fishing_chaos_in_wales/

mmMark Roberts
    Keymaster

Update from Rural Crime Team on what’s Local

For those of you travelling locally to fish I have just received this from the Rural crime Team , Gwent Police to help those of you that want clarification as to what local means.

Following discussions with NRW I can now confirm the following.
    **Angling is allowed as part of your daily exercise – this is agreed by both NRW and Welsh Govt.
    **(From the Welsh Govt website on daily exercise) “regulations state that this should be done locally which means people cannot drive to exercise outside their local area” These guidelines are set by the Welsh Govt for everyone in Wales to follow, including NRW, this has been confirmed as being the guidelines that NRW follow.
    **The request is for people to “exercise good judgement” – so if your fishing venue/club is outside of your local area for the purposes of exercising, you cannot go there – you could not drive from Monmouth to Porthcawl to run on the beach for your exercise, therefore you cannot do it to fish.
    **specifically in relation to driving, the guidelines say “In general, exercise should not involve people driving away from home…no journeys outside your local area should be taken to exercise in the countryside…(etc)” It also states “People should not travel a significant distance from their home to exercise” and they say they have deliberately not defined this more precisely.
    It is quite confusing but essentially the guidelines DO NOT say that you cannot drive to your local fishing venue – emphasis on the local. So even if your fishing venue has now opened, if you have to travel a “significant” distance to get to it, then that is not allowed.
    If you have any questions, please contact NRW/Welsh Govt.
    If you wish to fish, but are not sure if the distance being travelled is “significant” or “outside (your) local area”, please contact NRW/Welsh Govt.
    I hope this has helped…
    Cofion gorau | Kind regards
    Louise Thorpe

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.